Monday, October 20, 2014

Block parties are old fashioned?

Who says a block party is old fashioned?  Definitely not me, my family, nor my neighbors.  

My neighborhood is typical of one in Bella Vista Arkansas.  10 homes dot the street with vacant, wooded lots in between them.  Our block parties bring us together and often removes the separation between neighbors and homes.  The block party, held at this time every year, is fondly known as Oktoberfest on my street.

I had spent the majority of my Sunday afternoon preparing my portion of the pot luck dinner, while my children planned what outdoor game to take and my husband spent the day dreaming of his beer, brat, and German potato salad.  Excited filled the air as the time approached.

It was always the same as we stepped out the door.  My children were off on their bikes while my husband impatiently waited for me load the red wagon with our baked treats and hot food.  As we made our way down the block, my husband happily pulled the red wagon.  This small trip, by foot, was always a quite one for us.   


This year our event centered around "The Park". A neighbor had cleared a lot centrally located in the neighborhood around last Oktoberfest.  With a year of work, this simple cleared lot had become park setting with benches, beautiful grass, manicured trees, and a bike riding path around the edge for the kids.  "The Park" had further made my street a neighborhood and our very own community. Settling into "The Park" we spent our evening listening to tales of the past, reconnecting with the present, and some talking about the future.              


Our neighborhood has held many block parties over the years.  We have celebrated being neighbors over ice cream, hamburgers, and special holiday candies and finger food.  There is a history we all share in our neighborhood.  We have weathered and supported each other through snow, storms, military duties, marriages, births, sickness, deaths, and countless other seasons of life.  Living in Bella Vista is special, but living on my street and getting to know my neighbors is a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment